The 2017 Nissan Pathfinder is the latest member of the automaker’s best known nameplate and brings with it more adventure capability, a freshened exterior look and enhanced safety and technology.
The new models of Pathfinder packs quite a few changes including the A-pillars – both with revised sheet metal and the re-engineered 3.5-liter V6 under the new hood design. The new Pathfinder engine utilizes more than 56 per cent new or new-to-Pathfinder engine parts and components – including combustion chamber design, pistons, intake manifold and e-VTC (fully electronic on intake).
The engine’s new Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) system, which is also utilized on the all-new flagship Nissan Armada full-size SUV, provides better wide-open throttle performance and emissions performance (versus a non-direct-injection system). Horsepower for the new V6 increases to 284 hp (from the previous 260 hp) and torque is now rated at 259 lb-ft (up from 240 lb-ft).
While adding more horsepower and torque, Pathfinder fuel economy remains 20 mpg city, 27 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined (2WD models) (estimated). Maximum towing capacity has increased by 1,000 pounds to a best-in-class 6,000 pounds (when properly equipped).
The new 2017 Pathfinder is available in 4WD and 2WD drive configurations and in four models: S, SV, SL and Platinum. Some of the key changes to 2017 include:
- Bold new front end with signature LED boomerang headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights
- Available LED headlights (Platinum grade)
- New Nissan signature V-Motion grille design
- Auto on/off headlights with auto hazard system (linked to front wipers with twilight detection) – standard on SV models and above
- New hood and front bumper – projecting a wider stance and look
- Revised taillight and rear bumper design, presenting a more detailed, precision appearance
- Revised front chin spoiler and radiator grille for enhanced aerodynamics
- Front (chin) and rear (roof) spoilers, rear tire deflectors and rear suspension fairing
0.326 coefficient of drag
- Body color bumpers and outside mirrors with integrated turn signals on all grade levels
- Available Motion-Activated liftgate with liftgate position memory (standard on SL and Platinum grades)
- New Sandstone and Caspian Blue exterior colors (nine available colors total)
- New 3.5-liter DOHC V6 producing 284 horsepower (increase of 24 hp) and 259 lb-ft of torque (increase of 19 lb-ft) – resulting in enhanced 0–60 mph acceleration, re-acceleration response and higher torque throughout the rev range
- New Direct Injection Gasoline™ (DIG) system, which provides better wide-open throttle performance and emissions performance (versus a non-direct-injection system) by reducing engine knock, improving combustion stability and offering precise injection control
- Aluminum block and heads with new mirror bore cylinder coating (reduces weight and friction)
- Third-generation Xtronic transmission (similar to Nissan Maxima design) with D-Step Logic Control, which simulates shifts, giving a more natural acceleration feeling without holding a high rpm constant, letting rpms build as speed builds; high final gear ratio of 5.250
- Fuel economy of 20 mpg city, 27 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined (2WD models) (estimated)
- Increased towing capacity – up to 6,000-pounds (when properly equipped) for all grade levels (SAE J2807 compliant)
- Revised suspension for enhanced driving dynamics
- Stiffer front and rear springs for improved roll and pitch/bounce motion control (versus previous design), rebound springs added to front struts
- Modern interior design with 7-passenger seating with new cloth seat materials (S and SV grades)
- Advanced Drive-AssistTM Display (ADAD) with additional infotainment and driver assistance displays (version 2016 Pathfinder design)
- 8.0-inch color touch-screen monitor with WVGA display standard on all models
- Available NissanConnectSM Navigation including three years of SiriusXM Traffic service
- Available NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM (standard on Platinum model) with six-months complimentary service
- SiriusXM Travel Link with three years of complimentary service
- Available Around View Monitor with added Moving Object Detection (MOD), Blind Spot Warning (BSW), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Forward Emergency Braking (FEB)
- Available at Nissan dealers nationwide beginning in fall 2016