Aurobindo Pharma Announces Voluntary Recall, Adding to Valsartan Concerns

Yet another company has is recalling for blood pressure medication concerns.  Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc has announced a voluntary recall over 80 lots of its valsartan tablets that are suspected to contain a chemical that has been classified as a possible human carcinogen.  This potentially cancer-causing chemical is called nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA).

The lots include Amodipine Valsartan Tablets, Valsartan HCTZ Tablets, and Valsartan Tablets medications.

Aurobindo Pharma released their announcement on New Year’s Eve, certainly indicating the urgency of the recall, even though the company has not received any complaints or reports over adverse effects in relation to the drugs.

As with any other medication recall, patients who have been prescribed these medications should definitely contact their pharmacist or physician to determine an appropriate pharmaceutical alternative. At the same time, medical professionals attest patients should not stop using the medication until they are able to find said appropriate pharmaceutical alternative.  Indeed, it is commonly advised that stopping medication before it has been prescribed to do so and before you find a suitable substitute could have dangerous repercussions.

Also, the company provides that consumers can contact them via phone at 1.866.850.2876 or via email at [email protected].  Health officials advise that the product can be identified by checking the bottles to confirm the product name and manufacturer details as well as the batch or lot number.

You may recall that the United States Food and Drug Administration announced, in August, their plan to expand its existing recall of valsartan because they found the product may contain this potentially dangerous impurity.  You might also recall, then, that in November, Teva Pharmaceuticals announced voluntary recalls of two of its drugs over the very same concerns.  Mylan Pharmaceuticals was aso among the group who issued voluntary recalls, this time over their Amlodipine and Valsartan products. Finally, Torrent Pharmaceuticals also issued a voluntary recall of just two lots of Losartan potassium tablets over similar issues regarding traces of the NDEA chemical.

Also, as a reminder, the FDA has described N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) as a “substance that occurs naturally in certain foods, drinking water, air pollution, and industrial processes, and has been classified as a probably human carcinogen.”

19 Comments on "Aurobindo Pharma Announces Voluntary Recall, Adding to Valsartan Concerns"

1. kathy clapsaddle | January 15, 2019 at 9:58 am | Reply

I’M TAKING LOSARTAN/HCTZ TAB 100-12.5 MFG AUROBINDO CAN YOU ASSURE THAT IT IS SAFE

2. Kathleen Lukens | January 25, 2019 at 12:14 pm | Reply

I am taking Losartan Potassium 50mg, one tablet a day. Mfg: Aurobindo Pharma
    Are these tablets part of the recall?

3. I’m consuming Losartan 50mg tablets mfg by Aurobindo, is there medicine safe.

4. Eileen Kolkana | March 1, 2019 at 12:40 pm | Reply

I also am taking Aurobindo Losartan Potassium 50mg from Rite Aid and need to know the concern for taking them.

5. Linda Peters | March 1, 2019 at 2:48 pm | Reply

I am taking Losartan 100mg tabs, manufactured by Aurobindo.
    Is this part of the recall?

6. Wendy MacKay | March 2, 2019 at 10:41 am | Reply

I have a batch of Aurobindo losartan 100 mg tabs Batch OK1018062-A. Are these part of the recall?

7. I take Losarten 100/12.5mg for my BP.Batch number: WPSA17032-A. Is this one on your recall list?

8. Carolyn Martinez | March 3, 2019 at 6:17 pm | Reply

AUROBINDO Valsartan/HCTZ 160-25. I received these on Feb 17,2019.Why is this still being distibuted if it is recalled?

9. MFR:AUROBINDO PHARMACEUTICALS 100MG 4 7. E

10. Christine Gouveia | March 4, 2019 at 2:11 pm | Reply

I using Losartan-HCTZ 50-12.5 mfg is Aurobindo and I use 1/2 tab a day. Is this on the recall list?

11. Jean Allaire | March 5, 2019 at 2:52 am | Reply

I am taking Losartan 25mg.tablets batch number ok2518003-A.

I am taking Losartan 25mg.tablets. Mfg. AUROBINDO Batch number OK251800-A. Are these a part of the recall?

12. Mary Kennedy | March 8, 2019 at 5:48 pm | Reply

How is it that the FDA only says something after the fact? The FDA is funded by taxpayer money, just like the rest of the government. So, what do we get for our tax money? Scary situations? Possible carcinogens in everyday drugs? How safe is the cereal you ate for breakfast? If the FDA does not keep us safe why do we need it? They are underfunded. And Trump gave the 1% a giant tax cut? Anyone see what all this means? Trump doesn’t give a hoot about the everyday people, just the big dollar goons in his set. When will the American people get real? Why is anyone supporting him? And, guess what, Pence is the same only in some circumstances much worse. How can democracy survive?

13. Eileen McAuliffe | March 14, 2019 at 8:31 am | Reply

I’M TAKING VASANT AN Dark gray violet is it on a recall

14. losartan potassium 100 mg…aurobi..is ok to take?

15. Connie Griffith | March 17, 2019 at 11:30 am | Reply

My pharmacy just switched drug companies. I’m now getting losartan potassium 50 MG Tab from Aurobindo. Is this on the recall list?

16. I’m taking Losartan 100 mg. Don’t know recall list, but it is an oval green pill

17. This is way too complicated – I cannot find my lot number – I think the physician or the company supplying my medicines – OptumRx should notify its customers.